Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Traffic Policeman or Is it a Govt. Employee in uniform seeking alms?

If you had guessed that this is yet another anguish on the conduct of a traffic policeman, you are right. Today, around 9:15 PM, in my bike, I crossed the Gemini circle signal (from Nungambakkam high road towards Cathedral road). The signal was green and turned orange when I had just crossed it. But a traffic policeman emerged from the shadows on the other side (in the style of gangster coming out), asked me to stop and claimed that it was red when I crossed. He didn't look rough or spoke in a rude fashion, but was hell bent on his claim. I shouted at the top of my voice that I didn't violate and it was the last second when I crossed. As usual, he kept on with his claim and I continued to deny.

While this conversation was taking place, an auto just zipped past (violating the signal) and this fellow tried to stop him which is next to impossible. He then came back to me, asked for my license and noted (or should I say scribbled) the number in a paper that he seem to be carrying for long years.

He asusual, said that there is a sergeant on the other side and I have to wait till he comes. I knew bloody well that there won't be anyone and sensed that this fellow was expecting some money. I then told 'Stop messing around. How much do you want? He said "give me 50 Rs". I said "fine. I am giving it because I don't want to waste my time in talking to useless people like you. Let this money be of no use to you". I gave a 100 Rs note and he gave me back 50 Rs. He kept his words. I just shouted at him on not being able to stop vehicles like MTC buses, lorries, trucks, cars who also violate, but he is capable of stopping only motorists and exploit.

I had to cool down myself before starting back thinking that I have paid money to a government employee which will be of some help to him and according to him, the amount received may not be referred to by the word 'bribe'. I was really happy about one thing - that I had shouted at him madly, and put some embarrassing questions which is the maximum I can do at that situation.

4 comments:

Gautam Ghosh said...

don't feel so bad...we go through such dissonances after paying a bribe :-)

Richard said...

It is too bad that you didn't have the time to call him on his bluff. I can't imagine being stopped on the way to work just to pay a bribe (I mean fee). I assume there was no escape during the time your "policeman" tried to stop other cars.

Anonymous said...

Had the similar experience probly worst I could say... I had caught by 'White/Kakhi Dressed Beggers' for driving express speed (52km! the meter reading says)limit in the mount road(near YMCA stretch) where there is no traffic for about 200 meters, no school zone, no public drink and crossing at 3pm! Mistake is mine but they were very rude in speech,body launguage etc..

i told that I am in a hurry to go home (am not lying).. He asked to pay 100rs, I was in pathetic situation as i just withdrawn rs.500 from the bank 10 mints back!!... Before leaving i asked many questions much much worst than you have asked I believe, resulted he wanted to enter chargesheet etc... You know the final result... I paid rs.300/- and get the receipt. Still am not sure whether the amount would have reached government or not...

Finally i lost some amout,purpose of leave havent got solved...



I have consoled myself by entering my grievance the below site!!

http://darpg-grievance.nic.in/

Kaushik R said...

These people need to be treated the "RANG DE BASANTI" style.