Wednesday, July 07, 2010

GMail ID - Dots insignificant

Ever realised GMail treats your mail ID with or without dots as the same? Know this so that you don't delete some mails thinking as spam!

My ID doesn't have a dot. I have sometimes wondered how mails sent to the same ID as mine (with a dot in the middle) land in my inbox. I ignored couple of times as spam, but the third time got me curious to check. Back of the mind, I thought GMail had a bug :-) which I can write to them about and get it fixed.

But I when I carefully looked at the mail header part (sent to my ID with dot), I saw a small snippet "(Yes, this is you.) Learn more. When I clicked that 'Learn more', it took me to a page and explained why it is so

Gmail doesn't recognize dots as characters within usernames, you can add or remove the dots from a Gmail address without changing the actual destination address; they'll all go to your inbox, and only yours
homerjsimpson@gmail.com = hom.er.j.sim.ps.on@gmail.com
homerjsimpson@gmail.com = HOMERJSIMPSON@gmail.com
homerjsimpson@gmail.com = Homer.J.Simpson@gmail.com

PS: Having a dot to show clarity in your mail ID is of least significance for the mail server!

No comments: