Saturday, September 11, 2010

Switching from Suburban trains to MRTS

For almost two years, I was comfortably taking the Suburban Train First Class for my (earlier) office iSOFT, located near Palmgrove hotel. But shifting to new office in LB Road, Adyar posed only one problem - commuting. I just couldn't bring myself to think about driving by bike all the way. I hate to use my car for 2 reasons - it is criminal to use it for single man purpose and if there is a public transport facility, that should be availed. Of course, I don't include crowded buses as mode of public transport - they are just not ideal to travel with laptop and backpacks that too in peak hours.

I went by bike the first day. Instead of taking the known devil of Guindy route from Nanganallur, I tried to act smart by taking the Velachery route. I mentally prepared not to get agitated all the way and sure, there were lot of triggering points. The 5 minute wait at SRP Tools junction and 10 minute wait to take right towards Tiruvanmiyur from Tidel side almost got me. While coming back, I decided to take Guindy route, but got stuck near Raj Bhavan for 5-10 minutes. I decided it is not going to work and so took the MRTS option the next day.

From my place, it is just a 4 Km neat straight road to Velachery station. The new road would connect with the Mount station and then to GST as per the plan in few years time. It is quite a free road (at least now). I took the train and got down at Kasturba Nagar station (12 minutes journey) and from there, it was 10 minute walk to the office. I came back the same way and didn't feel any strain or stress. I took a season ticket - quarterly pass up to Beach. So excluding my bike ride up to the station, parking and reaching the platform, it is only 30 minutes to reach office from the time I board the train.

One biggest advantage is that MRTS are neither crowded nor permit foot-board traveling unlike suburban trains. The little drawback is the frequency in the non-peak hours; have to track the latest timing and reach the station. Otherwise, spend up wasting 20 or 30 minutes in those big stations.

No comments: