Thursday, October 21, 2010

Temple Elephant - an attraction forever

Recently, I had been to my native town Srirangam for one day and had a worship at the temple.

The temple elephant Andal was busy blessing people and providing an indirect entertainment to children. I got my 2 year old daughter who was looking at its sheer size without blinking her eye to do the customary offering of money and get the trunk to pat her head. For adults like me, an elephant still makes me take some moments off and enjoy God's creation.

As usual, I skipped the main sannidhi of Lord Ranganatha for two reasons - I didn't want to stand in he long queue (its not that I will not stand in the queue, but I was not quite prepared on that day to spend the entire time in queue) and second reason is that I don't want to pay THIS temple an amount of Rs. 250 for getting the quickest darshan. I would rather pay temples which are less cash rich than Srirangam to get the darshan as I have a strong feeling that THIS temple is not justifying the amount it collects to make many process simpler for common man to worship. One can see the management people standing and literally pressing us to donate in the main sanctum.

No comments: